Mold Remediation Reports from Bellevue
Project Type > Mold Removal / Cleanup of Residential Home in Bellevue
REASON FOR INSPECTION:
- Client recently had a water leak and is concerned with the air quality and the presence of mold. Environix hired to inspect the areas of concern as well as collect an indoor air quality sample.
CAUSE OF MOLD:
- Vapor emissions from the concrete floor are becoming trapped from the padding/vapor barrier. This is allowing moisture to collect in the padding and grow mold.
ANALYSIS OF YOUR RESULTS:
- Extreme Amplification: Mold spores were detected at levels many times greater than the threshold, indicating a site of high mold amplification and growth. Please refer to the attached report for more detailed information.
The most likely contributor of the elevated mold spores is:
- Vapor emissions from slab causing mold in padding/vapor barrier.
JOB SITE PHOTOS
Flooring has been removed around where leak occurred
Strong musty odor from padding/vapor barrier when lifted off slab
Vapor emissions from slab is causing mold in padding
RELATIVE HUMIDITY, CO2, & TEMPERATURE READINGS:
- Relative humidity levels are elevated. Generally, indoor RH levels should remain under 55% or under 50% in homes with poorly insulated exterior walls.
- CO2 levels are normal. While not a direct health problem, elevated CO2 levels are an indication of stale indoor air and poor ventilation. This can lead to a buildup of pollutants and humidity, which can cause mold growth.
- Home suffers from insufficient ventilation. This leads to a buildup of indoor pollutants and increases the relative humidity, creating conditions conducive to mold growth and dust mites.
LOCATION: Living Room
- Part of the living room flooring has been removed to locate wet building materials from a recent water intrusion incident.
- The living room has a hardwood floating floor. The padding under the hardwood is a vapor barrier and is trapping vapor emissions from the slab. There were no issues or odors with this until the client lifted the vapor barrier, releasing minor vapor emissions and strong odors into the room.
- Vapor emission is common through a concrete slab, however if you place a vapor barrier on top of the slab you then trap the moisture between the slab and the vapor barrier. This causes mold growth and a musty odor. This issue will get worse over time.
- Vapor barrier has padding below it, this is wet and moldy from vapor emissions.
- Vapor barrier/padding needs to be removed and disposed, this cannot be cleaned.
- Use a HEPA air filtration device during removal of this padding to keep cross contamination of mold spores down.
- Have a flooring contractor reinstall floors without a vapor barrier padding, this will allow vapor to pass through and enter the air and not create mold growth.
- Recommend not occupying this unit until flooring is removed and replaced.
LOCATION: Laundry Room
- A water leak occurred above the laundry area. This was from the water heater in the residence above this unit. This water leak affected the flooring and baseboards. The leak has been stopped and the ceiling has been repaired.
- The flooring has been removed to ensure all building materials affected by the water intrusion were addressed, dried, or removed.
- Remove and reinstall flooring without vapor barrier.