Mold Inspection Reports from Maple Valley
Below are recent mold inspection projects we’ve completed in the Maple Valley area. These reports can help provide you with an idea of the issues we typically encounter in your region.
Project Type > Full Home Mold Inspection in Maple Valley
REASON FOR INSPECTION:
- Client has noticed allergy type symptoms when home for extended periods. When they leave the home the symptoms subside. Concerned about the air quality in the home.
- This single family 2 story residential property was built in 2002 and is 3,891 ft².
ANALYSIS OF YOUR RESULTS:
- No Amplification: No mold spores were measured at levels equal to or above the threshold, and do not indicate a site of probable mold amplification and growth. Please refer to the attached report for more detailed information.
- The home did have portable filters running as well as a couple open windows. This may have lowered the amplification of airborne mold spores.
OBSERVATIONS APPLICABLE TO ENTIRE INSPECTION AREA:
- VOC readings were collected upstairs at 110 ppm and downstairs at 60 ppm. The threshold for concerns with VOCs is 500 ppm. No issues with VOCs were identified.
- The home has 8 occupants.
- The windows on the home have been updated.
- The home has overall poor ventilation and this results in high relative humidity issues in the winter.
RELATIVE HUMIDITY & TEMPERATURE READINGS:
LOCATION: Hall Bathroom
- The water line to the toilet is rusty from ongoing exposure to condensation during periods of high humidity.
- Water spots and minor mold growth were noted on the bathroom fan as a result of condensation.
- The paint on the ceiling is cracking from ongoing exposure to high relative humidity.
- A moderate area of failed caulking is present between the tub and vinyl flooring. This can lead to water infiltration and mold growth/wood rot in the wallboard and framing behind the shower surround. However, because the potential mold growth would occur within the wall cavity, the issue has no effect on the indoor air quality.
- Trim and vinyl appear to be water damaged from shower overspray. The MDF trim is swollen from shower overspray or splashing.
- Re-caulk the shower surround.
- Take appropriate steps to limit shower/tub overspray. Consider adding a splash guard.
- Repaint the bathroom with a high quality gloss latex paint.
LOCATION: Master Bathroom
- Condensation-based mold growth was noted on several shower surfaces due to ongoing exposure to high relative humidity.
- Several small areas of failed caulking in shower. This can lead to water infiltration and mold growth/wood rot in the wallboard and framing behind the shower surround. However, because the potential mold growth would occur within the wall cavity, the issue has no effect on the indoor air quality.
- The wall of the shower surround appears to be bowed out from moisture issues beyond the surround. No elevated moisture detected however the issue can be from long exposure to high humidity.
- The shower head is leaking. This is contributing to the high relative humidity in the bathroom, as the materials are never drying out causing mold to grow.
- Failure of the shower door is leading to water intrusion into the adjacent flooring.
- Re-caulk the shower surround.
- Repair the leaky shower door’s poor connection. Retest to ensure the fix is effective.
- Repair or replace the leaking shower head.
LOCATION: Upstairs Bedrooms & Bonus Room
- The rooms are equipped with Berber carpeting in dirty condition. Carpets can hold mold spores long after the source has been eliminated. During times of high humidity these carpets are collecting a lot of settled mold spores.
- Dust noticed on surfaces and on trim throughout the rooms.
- Although there were no signs of mold in the bedrooms or bonus room, there is evidence of high humidity and condensation in the nearby bathrooms. This can cause issues in the bedrooms because they are carpeted and can hold mold spores.
- Air purifiers are in use in the bedrooms.
- Have the carpets professionally cleaned using a hot water extraction method. Ensure the carpets are able to dry very quickly. Environix can provide air movers or dehumidifiers to assist in fast carpet drying. Please contact your inspector for pricing.