Mold Inspection Reports from Mercer Island
Below are recent mold inspection projects we’ve completed in the Mercer Island area. These reports can help provide you with an idea of the issues we typically encounter in your region.
Project Type > Mold Inspection for Bathroom in Mercer Island
REASON FOR INSPECTION:
- Client’s wife is experiencing allergic reactions and is concerned it may be from mold. Environix hired to inspect the basement and collect an indoor air quality sample.
RELATIVE HUMIDITY & CO2 READINGS:
- Condensation-based mold growth observed on bathroom window. This is not contributing to odor.
- Client reports odors in the bathroom when operating the bath fan.
- Client also reports they have found rodent droppings that have fallen out of the bath fan.
- Water staining noted on drywall near bath fan. This may have been from a previous leak or flood on upper floor. Materials were not wet, no mold growth.
- Several small areas of failed grout in shower. This can lead to water infiltration and mold growth/wood rot in the wallboard and framing behind the shower surround. However, because the potential mold growth would occur within the wall cavity, the issue has no effect on the indoor air quality. There is a possibility that materials beyond the tile tub surround could have mold growth and be contributing to odors. This is not currently affecting air quality but proper mold remediation techniques should be used when tub is removed or renovated.
- Re-grout or caulk the shower surround.
- When remodeling the bathroom, take appropriate steps to contain dust and potential mold spores. If significant mold growth is found, contact Environix.
- Contact a pest control specialist to address the rodent problem.
- Increasing ventilation in the basement bathroom should help eliminate odors. Follow recommendations in the ventilation section.
ANALYSIS OF YOUR RESULTS
- No Amplification (<threshold): No mold spores were measured at levels equal to or above the threshold, and do not indicate a site of probable mold amplification and growth. Please refer to the attached report for more detailed information.
Project Type > Mold Inspection due to Dishwasher Leak in a Home in Mercer Island
REASON FOR INSPECTION:
- Client had a dishwasher leak that went unnoticed for a while, causing wet materials and mold growth behind the dishwasher and the wine cellar below. Environix hired to inspect the areas of concern and provide a bid for remediation.
- This single family residential property was built in 1949 and is 4,290 ft².
CAUSE OF MOLD:
- Dishwasher leak
ANALYSIS OF YOUR RESULTS:
- Extreme Amplification: Mold spores were detected at levels many times greater than the threshold, indicating a site of high mold amplification and growth. Please refer to the attached report for more detailed information.
The most likely contributor of the elevated mold spores is:
- Recent water intrusion from dishwasher.
- Cause of mold in master bedroom is unknown, this area was not inspected.
- Due to the elevated levels of mold spores, the operation of a commercial HEPA air scrubber is highly recommended. This will rapidly lower the indoor mold spore levels. Please see included pricing.
RELATIVE HUMIDITY & TEMPERATURE READINGS:
- The client reports a recent dishwasher leak that has affected the cabinet and flooring. This leak has since been repaired.
- Heavy mold growth observed on the dishwasher and the cabinet near the dishwasher.
- Heavy mold growth noted on the wall and floor under dishwasher.
- Evidence of water damage was noted to the flooring, cabinetry, and the drywall near the dishwasher.
- Elevated moisture detected in the flooring and lower cabinet walls.
- Drywall was found to be dry, leak has been stopped and the drywall dried naturally. There is likely some mold behind the cabinetry that will not be removed however this mold will be encapsulated within the cabinet/wall cavity. This mold will likely not affect air quality, however if kitchen renovations are performed proper steps should be taken to contain any mold spores. If significant mold is found during renovation, contact Environix.
- The kitchen is equipped with double paned wood framed windows with no evidence of condensation or mold problems.
- Professional mold remediation is necessary to properly address the existing mold growth and to prevent cross contamination. During remediation, HEPA filtration, negative air pressurization and proper personal protective equipment must be utilized. Please see included pricing.
LOCATION: Wine Cellar
- The wine cellar is located beneath the area where the dishwasher leak occurred.
- Moderate mold growth observed on the ceiling and wall.
- Elevated moisture detected in some areas of the ceiling and wall.
- Evidence of water damage observed in the drywall on the ceiling and wall. Due to the severity of this damage, these building materials must be removed and replaced.
- It is highly likely that mold is present in the ceiling cavity above the damaged area.
- Wine racks are currently installed in the wine cellar that are limiting access to the damaged areas. The client will remove these racks from the room prior to the commencement of remediation. Environix can remove these racks for an additional charge, not included in the bid at this point.
LOCATION: Master Bedroom
- This area was not inspected but at clients request an air sample was taken in this room.
- Air sample came back extremely amplified for mold spores.
- Contact Environix to have an inspection done for this room and take another air sample after remediation is complete in the kitchen to rule out cross contamination.