Mold Inspection Reports from Olympia
Below are recent mold inspection projects we’ve completed in the Olympia area. These reports can help provide you with an idea of the issues we typically encounter in your region.
Project Type > Full Home Allergen Mold Inspection in Olympia
REASON FOR INSPECTION:
- Client is experiencing allergy type symptoms in her home and is concerned with the overall air quality.
- This single family residential property was built in 1977. The combined homes on the property total 7,091 ft², which includes a guest home that was not inspected.
ALLERGEN BACKGROUND INTERVIEW:
- Client reports a regular vacuum schedule of every other week. The client’s vacuum cleaner is an average quality HEPA vacuum.
- The client typically keeps their home heated to 62ºF during winter months.
- The client reports they do not wear shoes in their home.
RELATIVE HUMIDITY & TEMPERATURE READINGS:
LOCATION: Guest Bedroom & Bathroom
- A musty odor was noted in this room.
- The bathroom has carpeting present. Normal use of a bathroom generates large amount of humidity, which can result in mold in carpeting in very humid rooms.
- Evidence of history of extremely high humidity noted in bathroom. Water marks are present from condensation running down the bathroom wall. Using the bathroom fan any time the bathroom is in use as well as for an extended period after bathroom use can help eliminate excess humidity.
- This room is inadequately heated. The ductless heating system is set to 61ºF. A minimum of 65ºF is recommended during the cooler months to help reduce humidity and prevent mold growth.
- IAQ did not detect amplified mold spores or allergens in this room.
- See ventilation section above for recommendations to eliminate condensation.
- Keep the room heated to at least 65ºF in the cooler months.
- Operate the bathroom fan more frequently.
- Consider replacing the carpets in this bedroom and consider removing the carpets from the bathroom altogether. Consider a hard surface flooring for the bathroom.
LOCATION: Master Bedroom & Bathroom
- The bedroom occupant has known asthma or allergies. The client reports experiencing the worth allergy symptoms in this room. She recently moved to the guest room to see if symptoms would lessen, and they did for a short time but then returned.
- A portable air purifier is in use in this room.
- This room is inadequately heated. The ductless heating system is set to 58ºF. A minimum of 65ºF is recommended during the cooler months to help reduce humidity and prevent mold growth.
- Pre and Post rake IAQ’s did not detect any amplified mold spores. The post rake sample did detect a slight amplification of epithelial (skin) cells which is not uncommon for a post rake.
- The bedroom has:
- Upholstered furniture.
- Carpeting. The carpet is in average condition.
- Add dust mite covers to the bed and pillows to seal in allergens so they are not inhaled while sleeping. These covers are easier to keep clean than a mattress or pillow.
- Increase the cleaning schedule of this room to twice per week. Include damp-wipe dusting and thorough vacuuming of all surfaces. Vacuuming with a HEPA grade Vacuum cleaner twice a week is very important in homes with sensitive individuals.
- Replace the bedding with easily washable blankets. Increase their laundering schedule to weekly.
- Remove the soft drapes or curtains from this room. Replace them with a hard surface window covering such as blinds or shutters. Alternately, increase the laundering schedule of the drapes to weekly.
- Remove all upholstered furniture from this room.
- Increase the winter temperature in this room to at least 65ºF at all times. The furnace was temporarily adjusted by the inspector while reviewing this room. The furnace works and will do a great job at reducing humidity in this room.
ANALYSIS OF YOUR ALLERGEN RESULTS:
- Analysis of your pre- and post- rake samples indicate the carpets may be holding significant quantities of dust and possibly other allergens.
- Consider having the carpets cleaned using a hot water extraction method. Ensure the carpets are able to dry very quickly. Environix can provide air movers or dehumidifiers to assist in fast carpet drying. Please contact your inspector for pricing.