Project Type > Preemptive Mold Inspection for a Home
Reason for inspection:
- Husband just had bone marrow transplant. Mold exposure could be fatal. Client requested a full inspection to ensure no problems exist.
Summary of concerns:
- Small plumbing leak is present in the crawlspace under kitchen / laundry area.
- No insulation in crawlspace.
- Minimal ventilation inside home.
- Single Story, 1,800 sq ft rambler built over crawlspace.
Summary of recommendations:
- Recommend having a plumber make necessary repairs to plumbing under the home.
- Recommend installing insulation in the floor cavities of the crawlspace. This will increase the energy efficiency of the home.
- Recommend sealing and insulating HVAC ducts in crawlspace.
- Recommend upgrading ventilation fans in bathroom(s) to ensure an appropriate number of air changes occurs inside the home.
Some minor ghosting on ceiling.
Ventilation fan is present, but is inefficient at removing relative humidity from room.
Minimum soffit venting present.
No insulation present in crawlspace.
- Good ventilation fan in kitchen and appears to be appropriately ducted at this time.
|RH:30 %||Temp: 62°F||CO2: 639 ppm||CO: 0 ppm|
LOCATION: Main Office
|RH:28 %||Temp: 64°F||CO2: 663 ppm||CO: 0 ppm|
LOCATION: Exam Room & Waiting Area
|RH:28 %||Temp: 63°F||CO2: 651 ppm||CO: 0 ppm|
LOCATION: Living Room
- Carpets in living room appeared to be older and may hold an abnormal amount of allergens.
|RH:31 %||Temp: 62°F||CO2: 639 ppm||CO: 0 ppm|
- Client may wish to have carpets cleaned or replaced with solid surface flooring to minimize the potential for allergens.
LOCATION: Front Girls Room
|RH:31 %||Temp: 61°F||CO2: 646 ppm||CO: 0 ppm|
LOCATION: Back Girls Room
|RH:34 %||Temp: 61°F||CO2: 638 ppm||CO: 0 ppm|
LOCATION: Master Bedroom
- Closets were full and allowed poor air circulation. This may allow for moist air to condense on the exterior wall and may lead to potential mold growth.
|RH:32 %||Temp: 60°F||CO2: 638 ppm||CO: 0 ppm|
- Recommend keeping furniture and other contents a minimum of 2 inches away from exterior walls to allow for adequate air circulation.
LOCATION: Hall Bathroom
- Bathroom ventilation fan is present but appears to be old and inefficient at removing relative humidity from the room.
- Minor cracking / damage noted in grout of shower surround. No elevated moisture levels were recorded at time of inspection.
|RH:34 %||Temp: 59°F||CO2: 644 ppm||CO: 0 ppm|
LOCATION: Attic Space
- Insulation was present throughout attic space but the R-value appeared to be below the current code of R-38.
- Good ventilation appeared to be present.
- Client may wish to have additional insulation installed to minimize heat loss and improve energy efficiency.
- No insulation was present under floor or around HVAC ducting. This allows for significant heat loss from within the home.
- Good vapor barrier present throughout crawlspace.
- Leaking pipe noted under laundry room closet area. Minor water staining noted on vapor barrier under leaking pipe.
- HVAC ducts did not appear to be sealed which can allow conditioned air into the crawlspace.
- In-floor penetrations did not appear to be air sealed at this time.
- Recommend installing spray-foam insulation around all floor penetrations to minimize heat loss.
- Recommend installing air-duct sealant around all joints of HVAC ducting.
- Recommend installing insulation under floor and around all HVAC ducting to minimize heat loss.
- Recommend having a qualified plumber make repairs to leaking pipe.
ANALYSIS OF YOUR RESULTS
- No Amplification: No fungi were measured at levels equal to or above the threshold, and do not indicate a site of probable mold amplification and growth. Please refer to the attached report for more detailed information.