Mold Removal and Remediation in the Tacoma Area
Project Type > Mold Remediation Report due to Leaking Bathtub
Reason for inspection:
- The clients have noted water damage and mold growth caused by a leak in the hall bathroom.
Summary of concerns:
- The bathtub in the hall bathroom had developed a crack which was hidden by a non-slip mat. This crack allowed water to affect the tub cavity, dining room, hot water tank closet, and under-floor cavity. The damage was not readily noted by the occupants due to a plastic floor mat, area rugs, and pillows that prevented visual access of affected building materials.
Summary of recommendations:
- See below for detailed water damage restoration and remediation protocols.
Mold growth in dining room
Standing water below bathroom
Mold growth in HWT closet
Floorplan of Home
- A large crack in the tub was noted, this damage had been hidden by a non-slip matt.
- Establish containment
- Remove and dispose of tub and surround
- Remove all water damaged sheetrock, baseboards, and insulation
- Perform a detailed HEPA vacuuming of the entire contained area
- Install dehumidifier and air movers to dry remaining wet building materials
- Obvious water damage was noted in the carpeted areas where the plastic mat and area rug had been placed.
- Obvious mold growth was noted on the sheetrock in the corner common to the hall bathroom. This mold growth had been previously hidden by pillows and other contents.
- Increased moisture content was noted in the carpeting and affected sheetrock.
||CO: 0 ppm
Hot water tank closet:
- Visible mold growth was noted in the sheetrock along the common wall to the hall bathroom.
- This area could not be fully inspected due to limited access at the time of inspection.
- Obvious sagging and increased moisture content was noted in the belly immediately below the affected areas of the home.
- Cut and remove all water damaged portions of the belly and underlying insulation.
- Clean/treat/encapsulate any contaminated areas of framing or subflooring once the dry-out has been completed.